Re: Kalison questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Cary on November 27, 1999 at 15:13:50:

In Reply to: Kalison questions posted by L.K.M. on November 26, 1999 at 21:36:02:

I have been playing a D.S. for about 5 years, and I really like the sound and how well it projects. In the group that I am in, there are Mirafones and Yamahas, and the D.S. easily out-projects the Mirafones and keeps its tonality when increasing dynamics (unlike the Yamahas). I have had to experiment with mouthpieces to get the right sound, first using a Helleburg, then a Helleburg II, and now a Rose Orchestral (made by Warburton). Going to the Rose Orchestral has really helped the sound and intonation, giving a nice dark sound (my college band director liked a "Chicago Symphony Brass" sound).

The G being flat is not that uncommon in CC horns, and with the D.S. you do need to experiment with fingerings to find the right one. Before I had the Kalison, I had a Mirafone 186-5U CC, so I am used to having to tweak notes to get the right pitch. Try a couple of different mouthpieces, and you will be amazed at how they can affect intonation.

GOOD LUCK!

Follow Ups: