Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: yamaha 321

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave Seip on December 03, 1999 at 23:48:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: yamaha 321 posted by Chuck Jackson on December 03, 1999 at 10:00:06:

Good idea. The only problem? I'm not there all the time to watch over what happens, and all the other "accidents" occur when no one who would know better is around. I do the best I can to teach the younguns about proper horn care, but if they don't listen to me, there is nothing I can do about it. Furthermore, the horn does not stand up to lack of maintenance as well as it should in a school situation. I used to own an old Reynolds war horse of a tuba. It had been sitting in a pawn shop for years, and the valves hadn't been oiled, nor had the slides been greased, for quite some time. However, all the valves opened and worked even before oiling, and the slides all moved. This is not true for any of the Yamahas, even the more expensive ones, that I have played. If the horn sits anywhere, unused for longer than a couple of weeks (such as during summer vacation), the valves seize and the slides don't move, even if they have recently been unstuck. I have never had experience with any other brand that does this.

Follow Ups: