Re: Re: Jay Bertolet

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on November 16, 2000 at 09:02:16:

In Reply to: Re: Jay Bertolet posted by Sam Johnson on November 16, 2000 at 07:37:43:

Not bemoaning my fate, just very busy playing concerts and operas and cleaning up after the recent debacle.

I apologize, to those who have inquired, that I haven't been posting as much recently on the Tube-Net but I have been very busy both with my teaching and playing responsibilities. Hopefully, I'll have more time for Tube-Net in December because it looks like my schedule will ease then.

It is true that these most recent experiences have had a profound effect on me. My view of "the business" has been permanently altered. What I really learned is that musicians are no different than anyone else in the real world. They have a job, they go to work, sometimes there are problems at work. Eventually, work can become not so fun a place. I regret that truth but it answers a long standing question I've had about being a professional player and an aspect that has been discussed on the Tube-Net in the past. Orchestral musicians are most certainly not "lucky" to be doing what they are doing. They have a skill, they take auditions, they win a job. But it is still a job, no matter how you slice it. Just because others aspire to that same profession doesn't make the job any more mystical or desirable. This job, like any other, has its good points and bad. Working within those conditions is part of the whole package, just as it is with any job. For too long I have focused on the enjoyment aspect of my job and not on the job aspects. If anything positive can be drawn from what has happened, it is that lesson.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: