Re: Re: Re: Jay Bertolet

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on November 16, 2000 at 12:55:32:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Jay Bertolet posted by Jay Bertolet on November 16, 2000 at 09:02:16:

Although I have been getting played to play for a much shorter period of time than you, I have seen the same thoughts here at my job. Some people, like myself, are excited to be making a living doing exactly what they want. Others though just punch their timecards, so to speak, and count down the days to that magic 20 year mark when they can retire.

I also noticed the same type of thing in my previous role in the computer industry. Many people were envious of my position, responsibility, and salary. To me though it was just a non-music related job. It felt little different than an actor waiting tables until their big break.

I still believe that musicians are lucky in what they are doing. It is a job, and it is not always glamorous (bad management at times, sousaphones, too many pops concerts with mosquitos, low pay most of the time, etc.), but there is nothing in the world which can come close to the overall satisfaction of working towards this goal, reaching the first or second step, and having the freedom it allows. The majority of my job is not high art, but the minority of artistically satisfying performance experiences which this job allows me easily make up for the rest. I would rather march 200 days/year and sit on a stage only 10 days/year, then work in a non-music related industry for 210 days/year.

I don't believe the management of your orchestra should be able to get away with their strong arm tactics the way have "this time", but hopefully you guys will be able to get someone on your side who can help spin the propaganda in such a way to slowly turn the tide. From what little info I have heard of the situation, it sounds as if you guys lost because of the influence of some of the higher profiled members of the management on the local media. It's all about the politics, unfortunatelly.

sean

Follow Ups: