Re: Re: Good income?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Me on November 20, 2000 at 09:19:12:

In Reply to: Re: Good income? posted by Aubrey Foard on November 19, 2000 at 23:56:30:

I have a sister who is a "professional" French horn player, and a brother who is a college music professor. There is no question that the professor has a steadier income than the performer. As Aubrey mentions, it is possible to make a living, barely, by playing in part time pro orchestras, freelancing, and teaching, as my sister has done for 20 years while seeking a full time major orchestra position.

Military bands are an option if you have what it takes, and the pay isn't bad when you consider what is taken care of for you. But, you still have to audition for them, and there is competition and you are still in the military and need to be able to handle the discipline and structure that requires.

All that said, there are still people who make a good living performing on our chosen instrument. Someone has to be the one who wins that next audition, and if you work hard and have the talent it could be you. I don't believe in "covering your bets" by taking a teaching degree rather than performance. If your heart is really in performance, you should pursue that. There is always time to add a teaching certificate/degree to your performance degree. However, listen to your teachers and your heart, and if by your sophmore year you don't think that you have what it takes, you could switch to music ed and have a greater chance of making a steady income.

Follow Ups: