Bach Mt. Vernon

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Cary on November 08, 2001 at 18:27:56:

I have read postings on here and other message boards about Bach "Mt. Vernon" mouthpieces. In what way are they different than current Bach mouthpieces? As a mouthpiece is a machined item, made to spec., how is a Bach 18 different from a Bach Mount Vernon 18?

The reason I ask this relates to the fact that I have one in my tuba parts collection. It is marked "Vincent Bach Corp. Mt. Vernon, N.Y.," and is a 22. It came with an old tuba that I bought (and am now selling, sans mp, on e**y) but I have never used. For one, it feels like a trumpet mp compared to the TE Rose model that I use. Secondly, the plating is worn, and is completely gone on the rim and inside the cup. I guess I am afraid of brass poisoning. Is it possible to replate this item, and does it have any value. Right now, the only use I have for it is as a deep water sinker (would hold a line nicely at 100' when lake trout fishing in Northern Michigan). If I sold it as is, would I get anything for it, or is it better off better retired to paper weight duty?

Follow Ups: