Re: Bach Mt. Vernon

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Solms on November 08, 2001 at 21:47:36:

In Reply to: Bach Mt. Vernon posted by Tim Cary on November 08, 2001 at 18:27:56:

In the days before computerized machine tools, mouthpieces were cut using shapers. After a while the shapers needed to be sharpened. The sharpening process removes some metal and the shape of the mouthpieces made after the sharpening are a little bit different than the ones made before. The differences multiply after each sharpening. Vincent Bach was known to dislike spending money he didn't have to, so some shapers were used for a long time. I have heard tell (I do not know this to be fact) that the fractional sizes came about when, for example, a #1 shaper got small enough you couldn't call it a 1 anymore. Thus the 1 1/2 was born! I do know for a fact that I have three 11C's and the New York one is noticably larger than the Mt. Vernon one. The Mt. Vernon one is noticably larger than the Elkhart.

There is also a sense of history involved in the older mouthpieces (and horns). There is a chance the Vincent Bach himself made my NY 11C. A NY mouthpiece can give you that connection with the past for a lot less money than a New York model 6 trombone!

As far as value goes, it is like anything else that is collectable. Condition counts for a lot. A nicked up NY mouthpiece with worn plating is a bit like a Mickey Mantle rookie card where someone used a marking pen to draw on a moustache. Someone might still want it, but it won't be worth all that much. You might be better off seeing if the Coho salmon in Lake Michigan have a sense of wonder about the past.

Follow Ups: