Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tenor tuba ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 13, 2001 at 10:55:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tenor tuba ? posted by Klaus on November 13, 2001 at 02:54:43:

Thanks to both Matt and Klaus; that was exactly what I was looking for.

When I was in the TubaMeisters, our lead euphonium player played a Miraphone "bariton" of almost identical dimensions and configuration. The bell of that instrument was at least 12 inches, maybe 12-1/2. I personally loved the way that instrument played and sounded. I have to assume that this was the Kaiser-bariton previously mentioned.

I agree that it sounded much more tuba-like than a Besson (in particular) euphonium. But with the right mouthpiece, the Willson 2975 might be able to serve similarly. What mouthpiece do you use, Matt? Our leader used something like a Bach 1G bass trombone mouthpiece, as I recall--a toilet bowl compared to most other euphers in our circle who played mostly high parts.

Our lead player was able to make that Miraphone sing in the high register. The second euphonium player used a Miraphone 3+1 compensating euphonium, which has always sounded dark and deep in my ears. But the two instruments were quite distinct from each other, which we considered a huge advantage. I played the third part on a Yamaha 621 F tuba, and the fourth player used a Miraphone 186 CC. Again, the two tubas have completely different voices. But the blend of all these different voices worked remarkably well, and helped avoid the muddiness that can sometimes plague a tuba quartet.

So, I suppose I have had a few toots on something similar to the Alexander, though I hadn't made the connection. Methinks $3000 isn't too much to pay for an instrument like that--if you have the money to spend.

Rick "still waiting on that lottery win" Denney

Follow Ups: