Re: "It's the nature of your instrument..."

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Larry Zaidan on November 17, 2001 at 09:14:19:

In Reply to: "It's the nature of your instrument..." posted by Zach on November 17, 2001 at 00:12:56:

Zach,

I would like to take a stab at this (remember, it is just my opinion!)

I believe that it is a common problem (to a greter or lesser degree) with all low-frequency wind instruments.

My subjective, non-scientific, explanation is that it is a combination of: lower frequency notes (slower vibrations); large volume of air to be moved; and the fact that we are not in DIRECT contact with the vibrating body (air column), like string bass players are. (I believe that string bass players also have a similar problem when compared to violins, but it is not as pronounced, because of their direct contact with the string). Part of the problem is that some tubas (and I am sure other low winds) just seem to respond more quickly/slowly that others.

The severity of the problem seems to depend on the character of the musical passage that you are trying to play. To my way of thinking, in really high energy, up tempo (fast) music, the problem seems magnified, while in a ballad-y tunes, it does not seem to be as much of a problem. In some up tempo music, I have found myself playing (what seems to be) almost 1/4 of a beat ahead or the other instruments, just to make it sound right!!! (Listen to recordings of the Count Basie Band, on fast tunes, and notice where the bass player is in relation to the beat----sometimes he is playing ahead of the drummer!)

What I do to solve the problem for students is to have them key into the SOUND, when actually comes out of the bell, NOT when they played it (there is a difference!).

Hope this helps.

Larry Zaidan

Follow Ups: