Re: Please Indulge Me (***LONG***)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on November 22, 2001 at 15:05:06:

In Reply to: Please Indulge Me (***LONG***) posted by Dave on November 21, 2001 at 15:24:11:

I did that too. I was a professional violinist....I lasted ONE YEAR in a professional orchestra before I went back to school for my engineering degree. I did other things in the years before joining that orchestra, though, free lancing, giving lessons, even played in a rock band. I tried it ALL. The orchestra was the "give it one last chance to see if I really don't like it" thing. I didn't like it.
Funny thing is, I'm now really bored with my engineering career. It has its share of opinionated, closed-minded people, and people who'd rather kill an endangered woodpecker than let anyone know it's on their land. Unless you fall into an extremeley rare circumstance, you aren't going to find meaning for your life in a career. You find something you can stand to do day in and day out that makes you enough money to live on.

Then you spend your free time seeking the enlightenment of your choice.
Whoever it was that said that you learn your lessons from the world, is right.
Best of luck in your endeavors. I'm glad I made the change; I'm a whole lot happier dealing with my computer every day than what I was doing before.
Oh, one last thing.....I took up the horn at 45, have become competent, and playing 2nd horn in a community orchestra is about the most fun thing I've ever done. No history of competition. I love it. I still hate playing violin.
Mary Ann

Follow Ups: