For those linking to pictures...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 27, 2001 at 11:50:43:

I have done this myself, too, so don't think I'm coming down on anybody.

For those of you who want to link to a picture, the site that contains the picture must not require registration or authentication from a cookie by those of us looking at that picture. In simple terms, that means that geocities, yahoo, and other freebie site hosting services won't work. Generally speaking, if the site in question opens a new window with a pop-up ad, it probably will screw things up, or so it seems to me on the other side.

There are services for posting photos for use in ebay ads. These will work, because they are made for remote reference from outside their environment.

Or, anyone wanting to post an image and not have the space to do it can ask someone on the board for the space. There are several people who can park an image on an unrestricted site for this purpose.

For a long time, I used the web page that comes with Earthlink's dial-up access service, until I outgrew it and spent 10 or 15 bucks a month for real web space. Neither are free, but neither requires viewers to look at a pop-up ad or subject themselves to a cookie search from the host. I'd much rather pay that little bit and know I can link to any file on that site externally, than rent an open corner on someone else's billboard.

Rick "who spent 15 minutes getting to where he could see Art's frankentuba" Denney

Follow Ups: