Re: Hirsbrunner Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tracy B. on November 10, 2002 at 01:18:10:

In Reply to: Hirsbrunner Tubas posted by JIm on November 09, 2002 at 17:15:13:

Hirsbrunners are easily one the most expensive brands out there. Are they the best? That, of course, is matter of opinion. However, they are top quality instruments. Here are some of the reasons why I think they are so pricy:
1. VERY limited distribution. I only know of one place in the US that stocks them.
2. Extremely high construction standards and materials. Even the prototypes I've played are fantastic horns.
3. Consistancy! Its a safe bet that every Hirsbrunner you play will be as good as the last. Also, the intonation on these tubas is the most usable I've heard.
4. Limited quantities. These tubas aren't cranked out by an assembley line. They are assembled by master craftsmen and not by some local yokel with a soldering iron. This has a HUGE effect on price. It comes down to less tubas that cost alot of capital to build.

Af far as the playability goes, they live up to their reputation. I personally prefer my Willson, but I definately would not mind owning a Hirsbrunner HB-2P. However, I do believe you pay alot for the Hirsbrunner name and reputation. Think of them as the "Rolls Royce" of tubas. If you have the dough for one, you won't be dissapointed.

Tracy Bedgood

Follow Ups: