Re: Re: Re: Uses for Eb/F tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on November 19, 2002 at 09:26:26:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Uses for Eb/F tubas posted by Rick Denney on November 18, 2002 at 23:52:37:

Just to be clear, I actually own one other instrument you didn't mention. I purchased Tony Clement's Miraphone 184 CC for use with the brass quintet. What a great quintet horn! Tony was really great to work with and I couldn't be happier with the 184 he sold me. The only other horn I've played that I liked as much in the quintet setting is the Yamaha 621 CC tuba. It also has a great quintet sound but it only has 4 valves. I sure wish they would offer that horn with 5 valves like they do with the 621 F. Of course, the point is moot now for me, this Miraphone 184 is really perfect for my brass quintet playing.

Right now in the FPO, we're doing a production of the traditional opera pairing Cavallaria Rusticana and I Pagliacci. Don't say that my cimbasso doesn't count! ;-) I have to say that playing cimbasso this much is quite an experience. It really is helping my tuba playing because this cimbasso is not so easy to play. It is very difficult to always center notes in tune on this horn and the extra work I'm getting in that regard is transferring over to my tuba playing. I have a whole new respect for those cimbasso players of years gone by. It is quite a different challenge to prepare just three excerpts on the horn (which I did for ITEC) versus playing two whole operas on it. It is the difference between learning three sentences (albeit, hard ones) of a language versus speaking the language fluently. I highly recommend the experience!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: