Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Verdi Requiem

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on November 29, 2002 at 01:41:04:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Verdi Requiem posted by Jay Bertolet on November 28, 2002 at 23:03:14:

Jay,

Have you listened to the new Canadian Brass release called Sacred Brass? Here, Daellenbach utilizes the Cimbasso throughout, in an effort to more closely approximate the tone of renaissance choral music. The liner notes contain some interesting thoughts. For those of you who may not have it, a brief exerpt:

"The next important decisssions involved our choice of instruments. As we desired to more closely match the ranges and timbres of the human voice....it is the Tuba that is the most out of place. The tessitura of Renaissance bass voice writing is not so low nor is the timbre so thick as that of the tuba. Consequently, and uniquely, all of the music in this recording is played on a cimbasso...This makes the fifth voice of the Canadian Brass a true partner in the vocally inspired ensemble."

First, this is the first recording I've heard where Daellenbach plays a cimbasso rather than his CC tuba, and I have to say, as one who enjoys fresh perspectives, I enjoyed it tremendously.

Second, I wonder to what extent Verdi's comments on the tuba may have been influenced by his concept of choral tone.

Interestingly, Patrick Sherridan also discusses, in one of his liner notes, the importance of the upper register for the tuba because it most closely approximates that of the tenor voice. His appreciation of the tenor voice may also have led him to the Eb. Perhaps it may be truer yet of the cimbasso.

In any event, I hope someday I have the chance to hear you on your cimbasso.

Tony E

Follow Ups: