Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Verdi Requiem

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on November 29, 2002 at 10:13:23:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Verdi Requiem posted by Tony E on November 29, 2002 at 01:41:04:

You know, I've heard of that recording but I've not heard it yet. I was having a discussion with some of the guys in the brass section about other chances to use my cimbasso and one of the things that I thought would be nice was to use it in the works of Gabrieli. Those antiphonal brass pieces from the 16th & 17th centuries were usually scored for cornettos and sackbutts which are cylindrical instruments to be sure. I remember watching a performance many years ago of the Chestnut Brass Ensemble and their tuba player used a multitude of period instruments. For that older style of music, I like the blend of the not as thick sound. I think the cimbasso would fit right in.

As far as Verdi's influences, I wouldn't rule out the fact that his approach (cimbasso and mostly a tighter, more focused low brass sound) was nearly the opposite of Wagner's approach. My understanding is that Verdi and Wagner were constantly trying to top each other. I remember from my music history courses that these two composers were always competing with each other for public recognition and Wagner's approach was centered around the conical saxhorn family. It doesn't surprise me that Verdi took the opposite approach and his take on the issue could be no more than a reaction to Wagner's. At least if that were true, it wouldn't surprise me.

What role a comparison to the human voice plays in all this, I have no idea. It is an interesting idea though.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: