Re: PT-20's and MW-2155

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Josh Calkin on November 30, 2002 at 14:34:04:

In Reply to: PT-20's and MW-2155 posted by Andy on November 30, 2002 at 13:44:56:

I bought a new 2155 in January of 2000 new from Dillon Music. I think they project well, have a nice tone, and are a good basic vanilla 4/4 CC tuba that you can use in any ensemble (I play mine in wind band, orchestra, and brass quintet without too much trouble).

Drawbacks (all horns have 'em...): I plyed 5 of these at Dillon, 4 new, 1 used. The one I bought was the only one that (for me) REALLY played well. The others were vastly different in their response, and the one I did buy only spoke the way I wanted after Matt Walters switched the main tuning slide with one of the others. I don't know for the life of me why it made such a difference, but it did. If you've found a 2155 that plays really well for you, then by all means, go for it, but I would NOT buy one sight unseen, as they are inconsistent, IMHO. I also hate the slide lock on the 5th valve, b/c unless you tighten it down with a torque wrench, it rattles annoyingly.

Tuning, for the most part, is good, though I did have to become skilled with my first valve slide (and my third, every so often).

I started off using a Conn Helleberg on my 2155 (it was the mpc I was using on my Musica BB-flat before I traded it on the Meinl), and though it played well, I recently switched to a Mike Finn 1 b/c I felt it darkened my tone considerably.

Basically what it comes down to is, if a 2155 works well for you, go for it. I love mine.

-J

Follow Ups: