Re: checking for broken solder joints

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by The Low Tech method on November 17, 2003 at 11:57:15:

In Reply to: checking for broken solder joints posted by Scott Norberg on November 16, 2003 at 23:50:03:

Filling the tuba with water, while occasionally neccesary, is always messy and results in a very heavy object easily mangled without substantial care. At least for me, it also results in enough water streaming about that, absent a gucher, I'd be hard pressed to spot a small seep.
With fair success I have simply absconded with my daughter's 8 inch vinyl inflatable ball, smeared it with vaseline (eliciting liberal shrieks of dismay from the young lady)and stuffed it in the bell of the tuba. One then simply blows (or has his trusted assistant blow) into the mouthpipe and then carfully listens for leaks about the tuba. The water keys will probably leak a tiny bit of air under pressure (feel free to temporarily seal them with a bit of tape, stick side towards the instrument, under each cork. The rubber type spit valve blockers with the little protrusion that fits in the hole don't hiss at all regardless.), you'll probably get a slight hissing from the valves, and that should be it. An old paper towel tube will help in listening carefully about the assorted joints to ascertain if there are any other leaks.
10 minutes, the vaseline wipes off, and if it doesn't leak so you can hear it under those conditions it sure isn't leaking enough to affect anything.
Henry

Follow Ups: