Re: On Loving Music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Henry on November 19, 2003 at 14:57:59:

In Reply to: On Loving Music posted by Rick Denney on November 19, 2003 at 14:04:20:

Rick-
I qualify as a music lover by pretty much any standard- covering the ground from the Clancy Brothers to Igor S with Count Basie in the middle. I play, or play at, several instruments- achieving results which are quite satisfactory to me. This is fine by me as I constitute the entirety of the target audience. I do not play with an ensemble and frankly have litte desire to do so. In my case music is my love, but not my living.... (28 years in the Army). My sister back in NYC, on the other hand is a professional. One of the most poignant things I observe when I stop by for a visit is the extent to which the grind of professional life causes the joy of music to drain from many of the skilled practitioners of the art. With results similar to those outlined by Mark Twain- to a Doctor's eye the blush on a young woman's cheek becomes merely another indication of some underlying medical condition- many pro's seem to trade technical mastery for the joy of playing and listening.
As you noted Wagner (one of my personal favorites as it happens) presents a dazzling array of the full orchestra. To listen only to one voice among the many is vivisection of the living music.
Overwrought but there it is. I have to turn of the CD player in the car in traffic for the same reason you misssed your exit..... Take care- Henry

Follow Ups: