Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cutting a tuba Bb to Eb or F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 20, 2003 at 14:50:15:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cutting a tuba Bb to Eb or F posted by Alex C on November 20, 2003 at 11:49:00:

That's really interesting. When did Renold Schilke die? Canadian Brass literature from before their Yamaha sponsorship said that they played instruments made for them by Renold Schilke, plated in gold. This was in the early 80's. The tuba pictured at the time of these statements was similar if not identical to a 621. When I attended a Daellenbach master class in around 1990 or 1991, he had what looked to me like a standard 621 with gold plating. He showed me how the valves were vented (NOT a standard Yamaha feature), and we compared it to my F. A year later, he was talking about his deal with Getzen for the CB instruments.

I know that the CB guys replace instruments fairly frequently, owing to the rigors of travel, and so I doubt the instrument I saw up close in 1991 was the same that was "made for him by Renold Schilke" in the early 80's. But it could have been.

It's interesting that the first experiments were with an F, and I wonder if Schilke was using Yamaha parts in that experiment for Jacobs. But as for production tubas, the CC's were in production and for sale at least five or six years before the F's were.

Rick "wondering if the CB literature was a bit over-hyped" Denney

Follow Ups: