Re: Re: Physicals/Tests for Military Bands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on November 20, 2003 at 21:44:57:

In Reply to: Re: Physicals/Tests for Military Bands posted by Retiree on November 20, 2003 at 17:52:52:

I'm going to go with "Retiree" on this one. The military isn't for everyone, and I don't think it's for you. Unless you have a major change in your approach to life, don't bother enlisting.

Everything you've done has to come out at one point or another during the enlistment process. It can make things very difficult when it comes to security clearance, considering how closely you would be scrutinized.

Physical fitness varies by service, but not a lot, funamentally speaking. Marines run three miles (best scoring time is 18 minutes), crunches (maximum score is 100 in two minutes), and pullups (max for score is 20 in one hang). There are minimum numbers for each category, but getting just near the minimum in all three means an overall failure.

This is like what they used to say about the price of a Rolls-Royce: "If you have to ask, you can't afford it." If you have to ask about physical fitness, you probably need to work on it; if you have to ask about drug testing, you'd better damn well stop.

That being said, and noticing that there are some in the military cleaning up their act after dropping pretty low in civilian life, I can't help but be bothered by the phrase, "...don't really have any aspirations of quitting anytime soon."

Not only does that indicate a pot smoker, but more importantly, it shows a blatant disregard for authority. Whether pot's good or not, whether it's addictive or harmful or not, it's still illegal, and EVERYONE knows it. You just don't seem to care, and I do not want to see someone like you serving alongside me -- no matter what uniform you're in.

Follow Ups: