Re: Re: Re: BBb 4-valves / CC 5-valves - why?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 21, 2003 at 11:37:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: BBb 4-valves / CC 5-valves - why? posted by John Szkutko on November 20, 2003 at 20:55:31:

Maybe they don't have fifth valves as standard because for the three pieces of music in the literature it isn't worth the extra thousand bucks. Especially considering that those notes usually don't sound that musical even when they are used, and therefore constitute a rarely used special effect. Most people can't hear the pitches accurately, players and audience alike. And 99% of BBb tuba players will never see one of these works.

Even if I had a fifth valve, I would still prefer to play the notes in that range as false tones. The false tones on the Holton sound good and are much easier to play than valved notes on the second partial. I suspect that many a pro has used false tones to make their work a bit easier.

It's the little tubas that need the extra valve, because their false tones don't sound as good.

That said, I might someday add a fifth valve to the Miraphone just for fun (I have most of the parts already, or at least parts that would work). When I'm holding a five-valve BBb, I naturally play the low Eb 45, just as I would playing the low Bb on the F tuba. But even with the valves, a really good false tone is more solid and reliable, even though it feels different.

Rick "who has trouble filling up notes in that register in any case" Denney

Follow Ups: