Re: Re: Re: Re: is a 5th valve necessary?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on November 29, 2003 at 19:30:04:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: is a 5th valve necessary? posted by Rick Denney on November 29, 2003 at 17:36:20:

Sometimes I wonder lately if you think before you write. Your "no low F's" statement is pure rubbish!! The Canadian Brass sell their arrangements. I own quite a few. You don't see a lot of low F's, but they are certainly there, including the stuff they played/recorded in the 621 days. The most facinating stuff is the handwritten music you can buy from the store that is photocopied from their private library, and not published. It always strikes me that they can read it (especially the handwritten SATB scores). More of interest to this conversation, are the occassional handwritten notes/mark-ups on the tuba parts...such as the handwritten 1,2,4 on the low F on an early score of the Tuba Tiger Rag.

But, no doubt on your other point...he's not the norm. I don't play CC, but had always assumed the note was somewhat akin to the Low Eb on the BBb, which seems to fall right between the 1/4 and 1/2/4. But, with practice it can be played in tune either way, even at high volume levels. Is it more problematic on the CC? Perhaps it is and only the likes of a Chuck Daellenbach should dare to own a 4 valve CC.

Tony "who practiced until he could play the Low Eb in tune" E

Follow Ups: