Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stewart Stand

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Marcus on October 24, 1999 at 23:53:07:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stewart Stand posted by Steve Lamb on October 24, 1999 at 17:07:23:

I recently purchased a K&M stand. The receiver appears to be identical on the K&M and the DEG. The bow of the tuba needn't be centered in order to be secure. However, the foam on the receivers of the K&M and DEG wears on the edges fairly quickly; perhaps the foam could be reinforced with heavy tape or some other material.

Every owner of the DEG that I've talked to has expresssed frustration at the inability of this stand to hold the weight of the tuba without slipping over the long haul. Indeed, the DEG is made of a light plastic while the K&M has much more metal in its construction. The K&M is definitely worth the extra bucks because it will last much longer without having to worry about the tuba slipping while you're playing that all-important audition...

Although there is no carrying case marketed for the K&M as there is for the DEG, there are ways to eliminate the inconvenience of carrying the stand separately. I wrap the top end of the stand in a heavily padded glove and then insert the entire stand into a flannel pillow case. The stand can then be placed into the bell of the horn without risk of scratching the tuba. Thus, the stand coexists with the tuba in the gig bag.

Follow Ups: