Professional Orchestral Tubist Question:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eefer Owner on October 02, 2000 at 16:51:06:

I asked this question badly before, so I need to try it again.....

Since conventional wisdom seems to indicate that an orchestral tubist, in order to be well armed for his (her) task, should have an F tuba (witness: German orchestras...), along with your CC.

My question is this: Would an Eb tuba be a legitimate substitution for the F in a professional orchestral situation? (I know, I know, it shouldn't matter what you play....we should all be able to play the whole orchestral literature, including the Bydlo, on a sub-contra bass tuba!). Some conductors might automatically say NO to an Eb, without really knowing why (except for tradition), but do you really think that the conductor would even KNOW, if you didn't actually tell him that you had an Eb instead of a n F?

In your experience, as a TUBIST, is the difference between a CC and Eb enough, to make a real difference in playing ease? Or is an F tuba, REALLY the better choice?

If you beleive that an Eb horn is acceptable in a professional situation, what do you think about the appropriateness of the Besson 983, as one's only small orchestral horn.

Thanks in advance...

Follow Ups: