Re: Professional Orchestral Tubist Question:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on October 02, 2000 at 18:54:02:

In Reply to: Professional Orchestral Tubist Question: posted by Eefer Owner on October 02, 2000 at 16:51:06:

Conductors can't usually tell the difference between Eb and F if the product is great. They are aware of what they expect though. One of several reasons why I sold my Besson 983 Eb in favor of my Perantucci PT-15 was due to the feedback I received from Gene Pokorny regarding a Civic audition I took. After the audition he asked me if I was using a large horn for some of the excerpts and the John Williams Concerto. I told him I was using a Besson Eb and he then understood part of the reason why it sounded odd to his ears. He was used to hearing most of the "F" pieces on an F tuba and the Eb sounded a bit strange. Part of that is attributed to my not so stellar audition that day, but the Eb was a contributing factor.

I had purchased the Eb knowing that I "really" wanted a German style F, but wanted to save some money. But, I have a couple of colleagues who have sold F's to purchase a Besson 983. Guess it depends on what you are after.

sean

Follow Ups: