Re: Re: Re: Re: Valve trombone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on October 04, 2000 at 23:55:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Valve trombone posted by Art on October 04, 2000 at 22:53:34:

I have all of the parts in a box for a "project" that I never completed. It involves a marching baritone valve section (about .550" bore) and a shortened .547" bore slide section. The plan is to monster in the valve cluster IMMEDIATELY up at the bell connection and beyond it have a "short" (five position, rather than seven) .547" bore playing slide which stays locked unless needed. I plan to (when I eventually solder the b-----d together) make it bolt on to a Bach Strad 42B or Blessing 88 bell section with an F-attachment. Thus, it would be a large "symphonic" bore 4-valve trombone + optional playing slide (NOT a "Superbone") all-in-one. I have "taped it up" and tooted on it. It really blows nice, free, and in tune...an impressive 1st trombone "Ride of the Valkyries" offered through it (and no "fishing" by me, the dumb tuba player, for 5th position and "adjusted" 2nd [F#] position).

Getting back to boasting about the Olds (California) "regular"-size valve trombone, this last Easter, I worked at one of the "richy" churches with the Memphis Symphony 1st and 2nd trumpets and 3rd horn. We were a "quartet" rather than a "quintet", obviously. A LOT of my parts were 2nd trombone parts, as a LOT of the horn player's parts were 1st trombone parts. I did the rehearsal on my F tuba, and it was fine, but I decided to show up for the gig with the Olds valve trombone. I got a couple of incredulous looks from the 1st trumpet player (my very good friend, but just a bit "concerned") who hired me for the gig. I told him, "Don't worry, be happy." He relaxed and trusted me. The Olds with a 6 1/2AL pumped out a solid, clean, round, and not-stuffy second trombone part with PLENTY of (quality) volume. At the end of the first service, my trumpet friend said, "Yeah, man." (about the biggest compliment that he ever offers)...

...not a "brag" on me, but a tribute to my "dependable" Olds that blended in just fine on a full sound / full volume (with a big choir and a big organ) "legit" gig. I'm very lucky to have it.

Follow Ups: