Re: St. Pete's -- tendency to be flat?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on October 05, 2000 at 16:57:58:

In Reply to: St. Pete's -- tendency to be flat? posted by The other Scott on October 05, 2000 at 06:58:36:

In my community band, I play a CC piggy, and the other regular player plays a BBb St. Pete. Since he's a good player, the intonation isn't as much of a problem. I do know that we are both adjusting a lot to match each other and the band.

The big thing I notice is the difference in tonal quality between the two horns. The St. Pete is much brighter than my piggy. Combine that with intonational peculiarities, and it can be really noticable. Fortunately, the two of us have sat beside each other long enough to mitigate that for the most part.

If the problem is the player, the suggestion to have someone else play on the same horn/mouthpiece rig is probably the easiest route to fixing the problem (in this case the player). If the problem IS the horn, I suspect that a different mpc. will help a lot. You don't mention if the horn is from TE, or Die Tuba. That could make a difference, because I think that the TE horns are a little more polished in respects to the quality control. Who knows? Maybe the quality controller had a hangover that day.

Bet that makes you feel better about your tires, doesn't it? ;^)

Steve

Follow Ups: