Re: Re: St. Pete's -- tendency to be flat?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by S on October 05, 2000 at 17:51:47:

In Reply to: Re: St. Pete's -- tendency to be flat? posted by Steve Dedman on October 05, 2000 at 16:57:58:

First of all: Be happy that you are sitting next to a player you can get along with musically. The heritage that bad conductors are leaving in form of accumulated bad habits in intonation and phrasing can be hard to swallow to newcomers in a band.

A lot of less than nice words have been used about the St. Peterburg. You are centering in on a musically valid evaluation by mentioning its bright sound, which is rather much out of line with its overall large bore.

As mentioned in my other posting on this thread I find the ridiculous slow rise in bore through the leadpipe being the culprit. That instrument is not only too bright. It is far too easy to owerblow.

It has been mentioned, that the complete valveset has been replaced on the better versions sold from Germany as well as NC. My understanding is, that the rotors have been honed, not replaced. Only the leverage and paddle system is replaced by parts superior to the original Russian ones.

Follow Ups: