Re: Re: Mouthpiece smells like mothballs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck on October 09, 2000 at 20:53:10:

In Reply to: Re: Mouthpiece smells like mothballs posted by Klaus on October 09, 2000 at 20:32:08:

Klaus may be on to something here. The standard mouthpiece pouches are usually made of vinyl and I can see that one might make your mouthpiece smelly. I use a little dishwashing detergent and hot water to clean my mouthpieces (gets the skin oils off really nicely).

The sporting goods department of your local super-sells-everything-Mart usually has little cordura pouches for a couple of bucks with nice velcro, strap and zipper closures. I selected one large enough to fit two mouthpieces, put a small block of styrofoam inside to hold the shanks of the mouthpieces. In the other little compartments, I have a small bottle of valve oil, a polishing cloth and a backbore brush--and a tube of lip balm. The whole shebang is about 4x4x2 inches and set me back all of five bucks. When it gets dirty, I remove the styrofoam block and toss the pouch into the wash.

Sporting goods departments are also good places to get bronze-bristle shotgun bore brushes (for scrubbing goo out of slides) and wool bore brushes for cleaning valve casings.

Chuck "Just call me Heloise" Guzis

Follow Ups: