Re: Are orchestras dying?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Putnam on October 24, 2000 at 09:53:07:

In Reply to: Are orchestras dying? posted by Scott Roeder on October 24, 2000 at 07:15:43:

No answers here, but the concern comes to mind not only with regards to orchestras, but also concert bands etc. (as has been discussed to some extent on this site in the past). Maybe a few observations and hopes from one at least touching senior (52).

I was one of the "funny" kids that liked orchestral music when I was in grade school (my parents didn't make me listen to it on the radio, and the other kids did make fun). When we went to concerts almost everybody looked old, (but people that were 20 looked old then). Now when I go to concerts most people look more like me. Some of us may listen to orchestral music most of our lives, and I think others may gravitate to it as they tire of loud rock, loud sports events, etc. (don't get me wrong I have done the "loud" thing too).

What I am trying to get to here, is that we might (I guess I hope) see a swell of interest in orchestral and related types of music as the demographic swell of "boomers" comes along as sort of a wave to lift the boat. After that calm (or flat seas?), don't know, but again, hope not.

I truly share your concern, and wonder where it will all go. Maybe our culture will mature in general, I am thinking that things may be slightly better in musical environments outside the U.S.A.? Otherwise, what sells most everything else, some combination of "a better life", higher status, and at least improved chances for romance, etc. How do we attach these things to our music to reach a "mass audience"?

Follow Ups: