Re: Re: Are orchestras dying?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on October 24, 2000 at 15:28:01:

In Reply to: Re: Are orchestras dying? posted by Brian Frederiksen on October 24, 2000 at 10:21:48:

This reminded me of something I learned last year. Baseball, even though it's experienced a bit of a decline since the strike a few years back, is still the most watched event in the United States. What's the second most watched event in the United States? Well, it's not hockey... it's not basketball... it's not even football. It's Orchestral Concerts. Orchestras are viewed every year by more americans than anything else, second only to baseball.

While orchestral music doesn't appear to have a solid place in "pop culture", the answer to the question "Are orchestras dying?" is clearly "No". Are orchestras experiencing problems? Yes. But so are baseball teams, so are car manufacturers, so are software companies, so are teachers, so are -- you get my point. Musicians all to often are brought up with the attitude of "oh, we have it so hard!" Everyone has difficulties, and dwelling on these difficulties does nothing to overcome them. I'm confident that I will always be able to attend orchestra concerts as long as I live. I'm sure the state of Orchestral Music in this hemisphere may change over that time period... possibly for the better, possibly for the worse, but with any change comes evolution, and new experiences, all of which I'm looking forward to.

my $.02

-Anthony

Follow Ups: