Re: Re: Re: Are orchestras dying?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick on October 24, 2000 at 17:31:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Are orchestras dying? posted by euphonist on October 24, 2000 at 15:04:21:

First, the very best piece for band is not nearly as good as Mozart's worse piece. I love band music (I think the Hindemith Symphony is that very best piece which I mention) but the basic fact is that the repetoire, as a whole, is musically weak. That's a fact, no matter how often Johann de Meij's "Lord Of The Rings" gives you goosebumps. It's like comparing the quiver of tuba solos to compositions for cello.

Also, your take on military bands is a bit skewed. The pay for a military musician is not great, but how much do you want to make as a euphonium player playing Pineapple Poll your whole life? The military bands have great benifits, great opportunity and you get a chance to service your country (a notion not at all popular with money-grubbing euphoniumists, or the population in general for that matter).

Here's a note to you...every job carries with it baggage that isn't directly field-related. You say you're an educator? 80% of one's job as an instrumental music director at your typical high school has nothing whatsoever to do with music. Ever collected money for M&M sales? Ever sat in on detentions? Ever stood bus duty? Ever attended your 14th seminar concerning Blood-Born Pathogens? Ever sat through a faculty meeting?

Heaven forbid musicians have to set up their own stage, do their own advertising and pack their own equipment!! Afterall, that's what unions are for, right?

I guess you'd just like to show up to your 40k/year job for a concert, unsheath your shiny Besson, play glorious compositions by Swearingen then shuffle off to the bar while some poor sot squeegies your spit puddle.

Yeah, this post is a little over the top, but Chuck was not deserving of the raping he took.

Follow Ups: