Re: Re: Re: Re: Are orchestras dying?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aubrey Foard on October 24, 2000 at 22:26:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Are orchestras dying? posted by Rick on October 24, 2000 at 17:31:03:

Ahh... let the savage beatings begin.

I'm inclined to agree to the fact that Mozart's worst piece is better than the best band literature, but please take into account that most of Mozart's music can probably considered better than all musical literature, including orchestral.

I will always prefer orchestral music, even if you gave me the best band playing the best band piece. But granted, there are some people who feel the complete opposite of the way I do. Orchestra music for me gives me a je ne sais pas feeling that I've been trying all my life to describe... I know when I finish playing an orchestral masterpiece, I'm filled with a sense of joy and boundless happiness, yet I don't get that feeling in band. I never have. Perhaps the best explanation is this quote which I recieved from a professional orchestra trumpet player: "Orchestra is much more difficult than band. In band, you play a whole bunch of notes and it's just like whatever. In orchestra, you count for one hundred measures, then you play one or two notes, but they have to be absolutely perfect." I think the achievement of musical perfection makes orchestra great.

Follow Ups: