Re: Summer Music Festivals

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John on October 31, 2000 at 20:02:44:

In Reply to: Summer Music Festivals posted by Aubrey Foard on October 29, 2000 at 22:33:23:

I will preface all comments with the fact that I am not a tuba player, but my son is. He is currently a high school senior and plans to major in music in college.

Last summer he spent one week at the Oklahoma Tuba - Euph camp, and then 6 weeks at Tanglewood: the first four weeks in the Tanglewood "Young Artists" Wind Ensemble, and the final two weeks playing euphonium on the "Planets" in the YA Orchestra.

My son, like you, also has orchestral aspirations. However, he would be the first to tell you that of the 3 experiences last summer, being in the orchestra was the least fulfilling (why? Because depending on the music, the tuba player, and in his case the euph player, doesn't always have much to do). The Wind Ensemble music played at Tanglewood is incredible and very challenging / fulfilling for the tuba player, nothing like what the typical high school band plays (for comparison, the YAWE is "All State plus" quality).

Both the YAO and YAWE have chamber groups, quintets, etc., and those are in reality the best part of your "performing" time at Tanglewood. Finally, you really should not "reject out of hand" the OU camp or any other specialty camp like it - you will learn more there in 1 week than in a month at an orchestral camp.

I think that you should be more "open-minded" about these summer programs. And believe it or not, playing in a summer orchestra may not be the best place to train for future orchestral jobs. Sounds crazy, but I believe that it is true, and I think that is what so many of the people posting here are trying to tell you.

Good Luck - Write me if you have any questions.

Follow Ups: