Re: Re: Summer Music Festivals

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on October 31, 2000 at 23:40:54:

In Reply to: Re: Summer Music Festivals posted by John on October 31, 2000 at 20:02:44:

I can vouch for the OU camp being jam-packed with information, although I wish I could have spent the second week there. Nearly every non-pro (and then some) will learn a lot about how to deal with the instrument (most of which I've experienced in another summer activity), and it's great to be around that many different tubists & euphers.

However, that's just the tip of the iceberg, as tired as that cliche is. All the practice concepts in the world won't help if one doesn't know how to perform. One of the most impressive experiences I've had was when the Navy Band came to town and some of us students were invited onstage to perform National Emblem with them during their concert. Watching the concert from the front row was one thing; being in the middle of all that clarity & energy was definitely SOMETHING ELSE. That was possibly the tightest ensemble I've ever seen anywhere, and I'll tell ya, they didn't learn how to play with other people by playing by themselves.

Aubrey, if your future gig is definitely in orchestra, go for it. I thought I would be on that track too, until I finally figured out how massively good these military bands can make a "baannnndd" sound.

Follow Ups: