Re: Re: Re: Re: Bydlo---Tuba or Euphonium?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on October 03, 2001 at 12:56:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Bydlo---Tuba or Euphonium? posted by Ola on October 03, 2001 at 11:49:30:

According to the Courtois web page, their saxhorn has a bore of 15mm, which is the same as their compensating euphonium, and both have similar outer branches and bell. I recall that the pictures of these instruments (which don't seem to be on their site any more) had a tuning loop in the leadpipe, similar to their student euphoniums (though the latter have a smaller bore). The fourth and fifth valves had different meanings (one a quart valve and the other a quint), and they were not compensated, but those should not much affect the timber of the instrument.

I therefore assume that the differences between the saxhorns and euphoniums now offered by Courtois that should affect the tone are in the mouthpiece. They didn't say what sort of mouthpiece each horn might use, and they don't show mouthpieces on their web page.

I've asked this question the last time this subject came around, and got no answer. Maybe we now have the ear of someone who knows or can find out: What are the characteristics of the mouthpieces used by the French C tuba (and, according to Ola, also the modern Courtois Bb saxhorn). I suspect that with a similar mouthpiece, any euphonium could provide a close match of the sound.

Rick "who thinks a more brash sound seems more appropriate for the oxcart" Denney

Follow Ups: