Re: Adrenalin

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on October 03, 2001 at 15:43:28:

In Reply to: Adrenalin posted by Rick Denney on October 03, 2001 at 15:17:14:

I don't know how much help this is, but here are my thoughts:
When approaching a solo, and feeling the anticipation, I try not to think directly about the solo (notes, range, rhythm, etc.). Rather, I think of the surrounding support for the part. If there is none, then I think of the role in which the solo serves, ie. beginning of a theme, ostinato, end of a theme, variation, etc. This helps me to focus on the phrasing and music without thinking about the notes. Of course I also physically slow down my breathing and intake more air at a slower rate. This is supposed to help counteract the adrenaline by trying to keep the heart rate down while the adrenaline tries to raise it. It seems to work in my experience. If I am sightreading and this situation arises, I am usually already in my sightreading "mode" in which little seems to distract my attention. Sightreading mode is like doing a workout at max weight or close to it. I cannot do it as long as normal "mode", and afterwards I can sometimes have a mild headache. But after that it all falls back to the pshycological factor of why I am there. Being such I am not getting paid (or when I am it isn't that much), I am truly in it for the fun factor. I am going to try my hardest to achieve perfection, but at the same time I am in a relaxed state of mind because I am doing my hobby.
The only thing that seems to stand out in your situation is that you were somewhat frazzled from getting music together and under some amount of stress, either felt or unfelt, to play your part. This seems like it may have caused a larger than normal adrenaline surge to a already hightened body level activity. I think this was more of an exception and not the rule. While this did happen on American in Paris, this may also be due to the pshycological factor of it being a well known tuba solo in a well known piece and being "jazzy" to top it off and us tuba folks ain't s'posed to know no jazz. If I were you I wouldn't let me bother me in the least, unless it became a growing problem and I don't think that a real precident has been set yet.

Matt G

p.s. If you need keep a bottle of "embouchure juice" (of Kentucky origin) with you at all times. When the feeling approaches quickly consume between 2-8 fl. oz. to combat the shakes, this also works with rheumatism. (Just Kidding!)

Follow Ups: