Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Small shank mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on October 19, 2001 at 00:04:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Small shank mouthpieces posted by Klaus on October 18, 2001 at 17:33:48:

Klaus, I like you quite a lot, but that statement about someone's motives is hogwash.

It is simply a fact that the student model 3/4 Yamaha tubas have very thinwall mouthpipes, and (particularly on the "convertable" models) they soon turn to "toast" if a student is the least bit "rough" with one (stuck mouthpiece, etc.).

In addition, Yamaha makes a very nice line of marching brass, as far as the way they PLAY, but as to how well they HOLD UP to outdoor abuse...They don't, IMO. ' just too thin and too delicate. They're not a particular bargain in the market, either.

Finally, Yamaha's (too thin, IMO) model 2320 beginner trumpet was finally redesigned just this last year with much heavier construction, along with a heavier (more like middle grade) price.

Many of the bell throats of Yamaha French horns are "paper" thin, and I consider their single F horn to be so delicate as to almost be a "ghost" of a French horn. I've seen MORE THAN ONE Yamaha "screw bell" double horn with a barber-poled (!!!) bell throat due to seized bell threads and a determined arm.

As to the rest of their brass line, I think they're plenty durable enough. I think Yamaha is very good at making "very good" instruments, but virtually never do they make the "best" anything,

and only are the specific instruments that I mentioned above constructed too delicately, IMO.

Finally, I can't see where in the world Matt nor I had any "motivation" in what we said.

Joe "It's all a Communist plot! Run for the hills!!!" S.

Follow Ups: