Re: OK, I did it - update

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Norm Pearson on October 19, 2001 at 14:37:20:

In Reply to: OK, I did it - update posted by js on October 18, 2001 at 23:50:59:

I have 3 Mirafone TU23 (C4) mouthpieces that are supposed to be the same. They are all well made and come from different batches and while they are similar they all have a slightly different quality of sound and feel to the rims. Two are very close and the other may as well be another mouthpiece all together. The point is, the rim and cup are the most important factors in any mouthpiece The weight, unless it is paper thin, will have very little effect on the quality of sound. I worked for Joe Marcinkiewicz for several years as a mouthpiece maker and made copies for customers that were darker, broader and heavier sounding than the originals on Joe’s standard skeletonized mouthpiece plugs. Also an over zealous buffer may change the dimensions enough to make a slight difference as will backbore tool misalignment, cnc tool offsets etc... I’m very skeptical about the claims of exact copies unless there is some sort of verifiable proof. If someone were to have the interior of two finished mouthpieces digitized, (possible at Kanstul Music in Anaheim CA) so they could be deemed identical (on the inside) first then you would be able to play the MP’s side by side and make a true comparison.
FWIW
Norm Pearson

Follow Ups: