2155 vs 2165

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by anon on October 30, 2001 at 22:46:07:

Hey board. I have a question for anyone who has played a MW 2155 or 2165, hopefully both. I'm currently in the market for a 5/4 tuba and I understand that neither one of these two quite fall into that bracket. I'm looking for a tuba with a very nice, large sound cabable of truly holding a solid foundation in an orchestra or a large-sized wind ensemble (roughly 60 member). Tone color is also an important factor obviously. How do these horns stack against each other? I've heard good things about both horns and I really don't want to break for 6/4 horn if the 2155 can do the job. I've played a couple of PT-6's, the 5/4 Rudy, and an older 5/4 Kurath. Any comparisons or contrasts of the 2155 or 2165 to any of these horns would be greatly appreciated. Price obviously is an issue, and I'm really trying not to break over $8000. Also, I'm looking at several military auditions in the near future, and I can't help but to think that if me and some other guy played equally well in all aspects, he might win the job with a bigger sound thanks to his bigger tuba. Any thoughts on that? Any info you guys have out there will certainly be taken into consideration. Thanks in advance.
M.H.

Follow Ups: