Re: Eb fingerings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on October 27, 2002 at 13:46:56:

In Reply to: Eb fingerings posted by Beau on October 27, 2002 at 09:54:10:

My experience with learning new horns is that the time necessary is a very individual thing. Of course, you can affect that amount by spending more or less time on the new horn. That said, I try not to put emphasis on how much time it takes, just as long as you are patient and put in the time. Do yourself a favor and do it right the first time so that you won't have to go back and do it again or, worse yet, unlearn bad habits and then learn the correct ones.

I agree with Chuck and the others who would discourage you from thinking that the new horn is a transposing situation. It is so much simpler to just learn the new fingerings as their own entity and work on being able to fluidly switch between the two sets of fingerings (ostensibly) that you would use. One way to accomplish this is to play music that you are real familiar with on your contrabass tuba. I went back and played etudes I had worked on in high school and that I knew really well. The trick is to find something that you know how it sounds so you are isolating the fingerings as the only thing you really need to focus on.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: