Re: Thayer valve euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on October 02, 2003 at 00:39:34:

In Reply to: Thayer valve euphonium posted by dave on October 01, 2003 at 23:39:22:

I've seen one and it was interesting, but not something that I'd want to own. The body was that of a YEP-321 with 4 thayers added. A thayer for a given bore size is much larger than either a standard rotary or piston valve. The result was a very heavy instrument where the #2 tubing couldn't be made short enough to play in tune. The overall feeling of the horn was that it was kind of leaky. Overall, the tuning on the horn was pretty bad, but that may have been due mostly to physical limitations.

Like I said, interesting, but not something that I'd want to own, and not something that presented any substantial playing benefit over conventional pistons or rotors. The added complication is that the top-end euphoniums tend to be Blakely compensators, something that would likely be almost impossible to implement with thayers alone.

I'm not a trombonist, but I think trombone players are looking for a different "feeling" when they blow into their instrument from what a euphonium player expects.

Follow Ups: