Re: Re: Comparing old-timers equipment to today

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Heter on October 14, 2003 at 11:48:22:

In Reply to: Re: Comparing old-timers equipment to today posted by Paul Scott on October 14, 2003 at 08:11:52:

The sousaphone stored at Grand Central is a new one for me, but I wouldn't doubt it. Seems like an odd neighborhood for a sousaphone rendezvous - not much music biz around there (although there used be some musicales at the old Commodore Hotel, which is adjacent to the Terminal). Bass players used to park house basses and Ampeg amps in clubs, too. Anything to cut down on the schlepping.

BTW, it was a condition of my being hired by Paul Lavalle that I have a bell-front tuba. I played every note of the concert, plus the cornet solo I did on tuba in front of the band on that horn - a King 1241. Didn't have the Martin back then (1976).

I retired my old 1920 King 1240 this year; it was just was plain worn out, and rotted out, and parts were getting impossible to find. I love my new King 2341, and I still keep my Martin Handcraft bell front around, just in case. I'll be using the Martin for a dixie gig at a horse this weekend, and the King for a symphony gig the following week. Best of both worlds. I'd use the Martin in the orchestra (and could if I wanted to), but we already have an excellent section of string basses...

Follow Ups: