Re: Articulation Flaw = Sore Throat ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Contrary View on October 21, 2003 at 12:16:21:

In Reply to: Articulation Flaw = Sore Throat ? posted by Paul on October 21, 2003 at 10:19:07:

I always have to say the opposite!! There is at least one very high level pro (french) horn player who "grunts" when going for the high range. It does not seem to have prevented him from being 1st horn in a major symphony orchestra. It is disconcerting to listen to up close, though, and seems unnecessary effort. However, when I play better than he does, I'll suggest he stop, and only then.
I have also read a school of thought re horn, where it is advised to cut off the air supply via a glottal stop, to cease sounding a note. There is another school that advocates using the tongue to stop the air. All from high level players. Many ways to skin a cat....I prefer to simply stop pushing the air out to cease sounding a note, and adjust the embouchure along the way so that the pitch stays steady. This is only recently starting to work well on tuba, because the size of the adjustments is so much larger than on horn.
Mary "blah, blah again" Ann
Mary Ann

Follow Ups: