Re: ADHD students?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on October 22, 2003 at 14:10:48:

In Reply to: ADHD students? posted by lisa on October 22, 2003 at 13:03:53:

Lisa,

If you have a suspicion that this kid has ADHD and his parents aren't aware of it, you need to mention it to them. Especially if the school is as you describe. As one that deals with ADD (I lack the H), I can tell you that a lot of things that I struggled with in school would have been a lot easier if I had been diagnosed before the age of 32. An even more important reason to say something is that, left undiagnosed, a significantly higher percetage of people with ADHD tend to "self-medicate," that is, abuse alcohol or narcotics. It does wonders to put the brakes on a racing mind, but really gets out of hand very quickly.

If you really want insight into how to deal with this situation, I would suggest the book "You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?" The author's name escapes me, but it is targeted to adults with ADHD, and people that do not deal with ADHD can get a very good understanding of what life is like for those of us that do. If you are a teacher, this won't be the last ADHD student you encounter. So reading that book or others aimed at adults with ADHD can be a valuable resource in your teaching endeavors.

One aspect of ADHD that most people aren't aware of is the ability to "hyperfocus" on things that we are interested in. Most people with ADHD do this without realizing that they're doing it. But that intense focus must be directed towards very small, very definite goals, with plenty of down time to let the mind wander, and plenty of praise for getting the goal accomplished. ADHD people tend to get frustrated very easily if they try to eat the elephant in one bite, and will usually move on to something else that is more interesting and not so frustrating.

Contrary to popular belief, ADHD does not have to be a scourge or a dibilitating condition, even with no pharmaceutical help. It can actually be a gift and a strength if it can be recognized and channeled. Some of the more influential people in American history have suffered fronm ADHD: Thomas Jefferson, Abe Lincoln, Thomas Edison. Also some well-known contemporary personalities: Robin Williams (like you couldn't guess that one), Bill Clinton, Charlie Parker. There are many more.

I also believe that it is over-diagnosed, but it is also very real. And people that don't have it seem to get really exasperated with those of us that do. Patience.

SD

Follow Ups: