ADHD students?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lisa on October 22, 2003 at 13:03:53:

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you teacher-types have had any experience teaching ADHD students one-on-one? I have a fifth grade student that has gotten really crazy on me. He will listen to me, is not disrespectful, but what I say goes in one ear and out the other! I repeat myself, quiz him, and do everything in my power, but he can't stop fidgeting long enough to respond to anything.

He knows fingering, and can identify notes, types of notes, and durations. I cannot get him to understand rhythm and counting overall however, mainly because he can't concentrate on what I am saying. The kid is very shy and hates to talk, so it is a double whammy... (he was scared to CLAP a rhythm, but he would play it.)... that makes it even harder to know if he has absorbed anything. He will be busy dropping his instrument, playing with the valves, or just shaking around. His mother is not very concerned, and she is the one with whom I interact before and after the lesson. She can't believe her child wouldn't be perfect. He goes to a private school, and thus is probably restricted all day. His mom is very strict, so maybe he needs an outlet to fool around? I feel like a babysitter. I know this happens to teachers, and this won't be the only time it happens to me in my career, but this is a first and admittedly I am clueless.
Anyone have any tips on making him realize this isn't the place to be messing around? I am beginning to feel like a failure with this child because of this. (My other six students are doing great though!)
Help!!!

Thanks all,
-lisa

Follow Ups: