Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Know any good D's?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on October 23, 2003 at 11:00:07:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Know any good D's? posted by Rick Denney on October 23, 2003 at 10:24:39:

The point of being able to play exactly in equal temperament is, that the thereby achieved command over the instrument makes it very possible to play in the true pitch. An entity which of course varies with the musical progression played.

Hence the ability of playing in equal temperament is to be considered mostly a technical prerequisite for playing truly in tune.

A good tool to learn to handle true tuning in any imaginable musical contexts is to train scales in all twelve keys. Mastering the sharpish keys like B natural will also enhance your playing in Bb. for me the secret is in the handling of the minor seconds.

I find it the easiest to practise scales out of my head, but others will prefer to read from music at least until they master all scales in their midrange. For these players I have uploaded specific scale routines for bass clef and treble clef euphoniums and for tubas in F, Eb, CC, and BBb (sorry to the GG contras). the modes so far available are major, minor (natural, melodic, harmonic), Dorian, and Mixolydian.

All this has been about getting the horizontal pitch relation right. Abilities gained in this area also will be helpful in getting the horizontal intonation right. But this latter matter takes additional chorale type training. Being able to play in tune take the ability to tell ones function in any given chord and the knowledge to how to handle these functions. A very large topic.

My download homepage has a link for the index of all my uploaded music files. You can download them for free when I have received your reply to my "Welcome"-mail. Players already approved of course have direct access.

Klaus Bjerre of Denmark
Retired teacher

Free music files in .pdf format:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/YorkMasterBBb/
(Approved membership required)

Index over brass instruments gallery and catalogue scans:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/YorkMasterPublicPhotosIII/files/
(Membership is open for all)

Follow Ups: