Re: New York Philharmonic

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary Press on September 24, 1999 at 09:47:03:

In Reply to: New York Philharmonic posted by Rick on September 23, 1999 at 21:58:41:

I caught last night's broadcast too. Absolutely amazing! I thought Warren sounded just phenomenal. There is such a commanding presence about his playing. I agree that it is a combination of brightness and darkness that give Warren such ring to his sound. The foundation he provides allows every chord to settle so well. The entire brass section is as good as it gets, but it is Warren's solid sound that makes their unique blend possible.

As well, I was very impressed with Kurt Masur's reading of the Tchaikovsky. I am not always a fan of his interpretations, but he was right on with the 5th. I thought he did a great job controlling the orchestra during the Dvorak. What a night...one of true legends of not only the cello world, but the music world in Rostropovich, followed by one fantastic rendition of Tchaik. 5.

I live just 10 blocks from Lincoln Center. Perhaps I will make the trek more often than I did last year.

Follow Ups: