Re: comparing middle sized CC tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by sam on September 26, 1999 at 16:30:26:

In Reply to: comparing middle sized CC tubas posted by jon schultz on September 26, 1999 at 16:15:30:

The PT's pricewise will be considerbly cheaper from Custom Music, since they are the sole distributor of them for the US. Otherwise the MW2145 and Yamaha 822 should be very close in price between the two companies. In my opinion the Yamaha 822 has the best high range but by far has the leanest sound, therefore I would not recommend it for orchestral work. If you happen to like the horn try to stay away from the laquer version from word of mouth and personal experience the laquer 822 lacks in quality as compared to the silver plated version. The PT's are very well built horns and should be very common to find them used. Now that's the problem, I have played many older PT's that were pieces of junk. Although the new ones are superb! If I had the money I would drop it right now to but a new PT, but I don't. They have a great overall sound and the high range can be a little iffy, but you just have to find the right one. Which the guys at Custom I'm sure would help you find. Now in my opinion the MW2145 takes the cake. The guys at MW sure do a fine job on building these things. They are built like a tank and the range is awesome, especially the extremes. It's hard to say if you will find these horns used because they are such awesome horns I'm sure people hang on to them. I know I am keeping mine forever. There's just not much wrong with these horns. Now as to buying used vs. new. I have never bought a used horn for the fact I never found one much cared for. If time and money are an issue head to both Brasswind and Custom and play every single tuba they have. And I mean every single one. Spend a day at each store and take a friend along so you can see and hear what's happening on the other side of the horn.

hope this helped
sam

Follow Ups: