Re: Re: comparing middle sized CC tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Zack on September 26, 1999 at 22:36:12:

In Reply to: Re: comparing middle sized CC tubas posted by sam on September 26, 1999 at 16:30:26:

On comparing the models of tubas, there are so many factors that have to be taken into consideration. From the questions you asked in your posting, I have a few suggestions:

1) Don't limit yourself to just the models you specified. How did you come to narrow your choices down to those models? Those models are fine on paper, but, there are some variables one has to take into account when choosing a horn, such as the size of the musician, and the playing habits of the musician. If you're a big guy, your selection of instrument it limitless. You can probably handle any horn you get your hands on. If you're not the biggest guy in the world, like myself, a smaller horn can be decieving.......one of the greatest myths of the tuba is that a small horn doesn't sound big.......In my experience, a smaller CC tuba gives you much more bang for your buck. Chances are you won't ever have the ened to justify using a MW 2165 or a YorkBrunner...more than likely, if you are a professional tubist, you'll be making your money playing quintet gigs, or doing smaller ensemble work.....

2) The great Don Butterfield once said, "Why the hell are you worrying about high register on a CC or BBb tuba? That's what the damned F or Eb is for!" Need I say more? In all probability, right now you only have the funds for one horn. I understand that, but, one should worry more about the lower register of a CC tuba when buying......how many people besides Kelly O'Bryant, Pat Sheridan, or Roger Bobo ever get payed for their high chops? Worry more about having that fat, huge, booming low register on your horn than a screeming high C......

3) Whoever said a used horn is second to a new one should ahve his head examined. Do you know which horn is the best one? The one that works for you. The one that your face is happiest with! As far as a difference, ask Gene Pokorney if he likes his "used" York CC or not.......Maybe there's a reason he uses that axe over a new Hirschbrunner........

4) As far as construction goes, there are very few tubas made poorly. Some are made stronger than others, but, if an instrument works for you, one should protect it with one's life......In my experience, American and English made tubas are built like tanks, while the Germanic tubas are made of thinner metal.....Japaneese tubas are generally made very well, but repairing can be difficult. Nobody makes better valves than UMI (King, Conn, etc...)

5) Getting back to models, there are a few models which also warrant getting checked out....1. the Meinl Weston 2155.....it is a far superior horn tot he 2145....trust me. I used to own a 2145. 2. If you can find one for sale, or are interested in having one made, a Dillon Custom. The wizards at Dillon Music can make any tuba play like magic. I have played almost every tuba made, and I can safely say that nobody makes a better playing tuba than Dillon Music. 3. If you can wait, there has been talk of a new King or Conn CC tuba......I had the luxury of playing the prototype, and all I can say is wow. It definitely ranks with the best tubas made today. Defintely worth a shot for you.

6) You asked about Custom Music and the Brasswind, but, you forgot to mention Dillon Music.....If you're serious about looking for tubas, you have to call Dillon Music. Those guys there are the tops. Plus, you know you'll be getting a great tuba at a great price from them. Check out their website at www.dillonmusic.com

So, for what it's worth, that's my 2 cents....I hope it's worth it......

Good luck, and remember: No tuba is that good that it can substitute for practicing.

Follow Ups: